Turkey Trip Date 112407b - Too Old for this Sh*t
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
It's official. I'm getting too old for this sh*t. On our last night of the Turkey Trip, I saw that the infamous local punk rock band NIL8 was playing at Marly's Pub in a very -cough-cough- happening downtown Spfld. The website stated a 9pm start which clearly means one 30 minute opener, one 45 minute middle band, followed by the reason everyone came to begin with, the headlining act. So surely by 11 pm (on the night before we have to catch a 8:30 am train) NIL8 would be up.
Arriving at 10:00 we catch the last two songs of a band called Shadowspeak
who seemed to be pretty good (and they have a slick myspace page). At the end of their set, they said, "NIL8 is up next." But no. Band 2 (D in A ?) who looked like they were just roadies came on, transformed into deathmetalmaniacs and were so bad and ear achingly loud, we actually left the building to find a CVS store to buy earplugs - which we did (best $3.49 I ever spent). Upon returning, the torture ended with another "NIL8 is next" but then a 3rd band (Fast Orange) came on. They didn't sound bad, just lame and not the reason we were there!
Finally at 1 AM (apparently the bar is open to 3 AM) NIL8 comes on. This is the first time I did not stay for the entirety of a NIL8 show and I have been to over a dozen, but there's been a 5 year gap since I've done this last. At least now I've got good camera and squeezed into position to get these shots:
And for good measure, there was guy peeing in the parking lot in front of my parents' car as we left.
Here's (YouTube)the aptly titled "Basement Show" from a show in what may be an actual basement in Chambana (McKinley Foundation) earlier this year.
And here's a clip of Shadowspeak (YouTube):
Posted by Mark and Sinziana 9:32 PM
Labels: nil8


