I think Alberto Gonzalez is a physical therapist
Monday, November 26, 2007

Which would explain why I'm getting electro shock therapy for my ankle. Now I have never heard them use the term electro-shock, but this battery-powered doohickey sends volts of current into four locations around my ankle. As a result my foot and calf muscles would contract and then relax involuntarily. As they put it, "We want to make your foot bounce pretty good." When they asked how did it feel, I admitted to stealing two Brach's hot cinnamon candies from Osco Grocery store when I was 7 years old.
Sounds fun right? It didn't actually hurt, but it was a weird and uncomfortable sensation.
Well that was my introduction to PT (physical therapy).
After the zap therapy (while iced down), they used a sonic device to rub anti-inflammatory cream into my ankle. Then I did some ankle flexibility movements and practiced pseudo-walking with the crutches to get the heel to toe action reinvigorated. Now I just get tingling zap therapy, sonic cream pie slushies, and various stretching and strength training.
Anyway, here are the real definitions:
Definition: Ultrasound machines are a treatment modality used by physical therapists that utilize high or low frequency sound waves. These sound waves are transmitted to the surrounding tissue and vasculature. They penetrate the muscles to cause deep tissue/muscle warming. This promotes tissue relaxation and therefore is useful in treating muscle tightness and spasms. The warming effect of the sound waves also cause vessel vasodilatation and increase circulation to the area that assists in healing. The physical therapist can also adjust the frequency on the machine to use waves that will decrease inflammation.
Definition: Electrical stimulation uses an electrical current to cause a single muscle or a group of muscles to contract. By placing electrodes on the skin in various locations the physical therapist can recruit the appropriate muscle fibers. Contracting the muscle via electrical stimulation helps strengthen the affected muscle. The physical therapist can change the current setting to allow for a forceful or gentle muscle contraction. Along with increasing muscle strength, the contraction of the muscle also promotes blood supply to the area that assists in healing.
Also Known As: E Stim
Posted by Mark and Sinziana 11:02 AM


