Mushkin, mushkin, little 'puter doggies
Monday, February 5, 2007
After Sinzi noted how our computer was getting sluggish, I decided it was about time I upgraded the hardware. First off I went through as thorough of a system cleaning as I could, disk defragmenter, Spybot, AdAware, and I found a little app called CCleaner. CCleaner does pretty good job of cleaning out old log file, cookies, temp files, and has a good way of getting rid of unwanted apps that sneak into your Start Up sequence. I think I cut a good 45 seconds of boot time just by doing this.
Considering that I built this PC myself in October of 2003, and I am neither a rocket scientist nor a computer g33k, I think I did a pretty good job. We still have plenty of space on the hard drive (160 Gb total), video card is good at 128 Mb, ok processor AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500, but the RAM was only 128 Mb. So this is an easy fix. I ordered a 1GB stick directly from Mushkin (same brand as old memory). When the RAM module arrived it came in the coolest packaging that is simple and jsut plain makes sense. Take a look:The module is in a clear plastic envelope that is then enveloped within an air pillow. Can't crunch the chip, can't damage it with static electricity. Kewl.
Now the 'puter is technically Vista-ready but at $200+ for the Home Premium edition (cooler GUI) that ain't happening.
PS this will probably be the most techie oriented post we ever post, at least until we get a DVD burner...
Posted by Mark and Sinziana 10:05 PM


